“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Does God speak through Taylor Swift??



I think we need to be aware that God can speak to us in ways that are unique to only us.  As long as the revelation is in line with the Word of God, we can find comfort even in the lyrics of a Taylor Swift song.  I received this e-mail earlier today and asked my friend if I could share it with you.
 
Hello my Dear -
 
You're going to think I'm a little nutty - but I think you'll get me here.  It reminded me of your hose....so I thought I'd share.  So the back story facts. 
I run with an iPod - my workout mix has 89 songs on it.  It has one Taylor Swift song on it.  That one song plays on every single run I take.  When we were on vacation I was running longer, and I started to complain to my sister-in-law and husband about it.  Sometimes she would pop up twice - I was even talking about writing Apple about their need to update how they define shuffle! 

Anyway - Saturday - I ran 5.2 miles, took me 57 minutes.  Taylor Swift played twice.  I skipped her the second time, annoyed.  Monday I ran 3 miles, she came on, I skipped her, annoyed.
 
This morning I prayed to the Lord hard.  I prayed about my heart, why it wasn't changed in the year since I did this study on David (Beth Moore's David: A Heart Like His and Seeking A Heart Like His) the first time.  I had a long time of confession, I begged for His presence to be felt today - I begged him to open my eyes so I could hear Him speaking - see Him today.
 
9:00am this morning - I set out for a 4.2 mile run.  0.1 mile in, not even to corner!  Taylor Swift comes on.  I say to myself, FINE, I'll listen to it, get it over with.  But I didn't really 'listen'.  I was daydreaming.  I was having a great run, but I was thinking some prideful thoughts.  Mile 3, Taylor Swift came on.  And I said, out loud, 'Seriously...GOD (not spoken in praise) are you kidding me!',  and he said 'No....I'm not!'  The song was almost over before I got over myself and got it...just where I think He wanted me to listen...
 
So I have to ask...Does God speak through Taylor Swift?  I think He does.  I'll never listen to it the same way...and I'm pretty confident I'll always listen to it.
 
(partial) Lyrics to You Belong With Me :
Dreaming bout the day when you wake up and find
That what you're looking for has been here the whole time

If you could see that I'm the one who understands you
Been here all along so why can't you see?
You belong with me

Standin by, waiting at your back door
All this time how could you not know that?
You belong with me
You belong with me

Oh I remember you driving to my house in the middle of the night
I'm the one who makes you laugh when you know you're about to cry
I know your favorite songs and you tell me about your dreams
I think I know where you belong. I think I know it's with me.

Can't you see that I'm the one who understands you?
Been here all along so why can't you see?
You belong with me

Standing by or waiting at your back door
All this time how could you not know that
You belong with me
You belong with me

Have you ever thought just maybe
You belong with me
You belong with me

1 comment:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I don't listen to Taylor on a regular basis, but I do like some of her stuff. And casting these lyrics in the light of what I need--Jesus Christ--it's a beautiful way of looking at my relationship with Jesus Christ.

For the record, I've also had a few of these moments with Rascal Flatts's songs!

peace~elaine