“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Is a Growth Spurt Contagious?

 first day of 8th grade - 2012

I thought I would share Christopher's photo from the first day of school for 8th grade.  
And then I remembered this blog from September 12th, 2009 
and I thought I would re-post it.


Is a Growth Spurt Contagious
September 12, 2009

first day preschool 4's ~ 2003

Christopher couldn't sleep last night (September of 2009). Which meant I didn't sleep last night. At 1am I began to ramble off thoughts of what was keeping him from the land of nod. Hunger? Sugar? Growth Spurt? He asked me to clarify what exactly a growth spurt was... and then we tried to drift off to sleep.

This morning when I came down for breakfast, Christopher snuggled close to me on the couch and asked, "Mommy, is a growth spurt contagious? Because I want to know if I can play with Collin today."

I hugged him tight and assured him that it was not contagious, but I'm sure Collin... like any boy... wouldn't mind catching it!

first day 5th grade ~ 2009

And all of this growth spurt talk reminded me of another type of growth spurt...

Recently, I asked my FB friends, "Who taught you how to pray?"
Dixie: I would have to say my Mother.
Mark: Jesus

Phil: the parental unit known as Bill & Joy. Saw my dad praying every morning when I got up for 15 years.
Amy: The Lord's Prayer

Shannon: My Missionette leader

Leila: I learned how to pray by going through life situations that made me get real and talk to Him from my heart.
But the response that touched me the most was sent to me privately.
Sheri, no one taught me how to pray and I believe that I do not do it right. Is there a certain way to pray?
And first my heart ached for the one who thought they "do not do it right" but then my heart leapt... because I realized that this question was coming out of a growth spurt! And so I responded:
Great question! But first and foremost... please, don't ever think that you do not do it right. I think perhaps we get to a point in our prayer life where we want to go deeper with the Lord, to know Him in a more intimate way, to trust Him more. Just like when your baby learns to walk... she'll start with a crawl... then an unbalanced wobble... then a walk holding on to things for support... and then... and then... she'll run! And you'd have to admit that she did everything right... in its time.

I think one of the best ways to learn how to pray is by finding prayers in the Bible. Even starting with the Lord's prayer. Seeing how Jesus prays is helpful in teaching us how to pray.

I also highly recommend the acronyms A.C.T.S. You can check out my post on that one and let me know if you have any questions.

The book I am currently reading Too Busy Not to Pray is PHEnomenal! Are you a book reader? It's not too long of a read. I'm taking a chapter at a time so that it will really sink in... He does an incredible job of describing how to use A.C.T.S. If you like, I'll send you a copy?

Another book series is by Stormie Omartian... The Power of a Praying Wife, Woman, Parent. Each chapter talks about something to pray for... gives Bible verses... and then a sample prayer. I've learned a lot by listening to other people pray. But then finding my own comfort zone.

I've also found that our life experiences end up teaching us how to pray. When I was going through a deep depression in 2006... I begged the Lord to heal me immediately. When He didn't, I continued to pray in desperation... I began journaling daily. Sometimes thoughts... sometimes prayers. I continued to seek Him... and to listen to what I was praying. I relied upon Him so much and found true comfort when I would pray that it has become very much part of who I am.

I hope this gives you a place to start. You know to think of it... I've been praying for you for almost six years.

How about you, friend? Have you had a growth spurt lately? Because when it comes to spiritual growth spurts... I actually do believe they are contagious!

So then neither the one who plants
nor the one who waters is anything,
but God who causes the growth.
1 Corinthians 3:7 NASB

2 comments:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Have I ever?! Growth spurts in abundance, which is far better than stunted growth.

And prayer. . . what a gift!

And that boy . . . he sure likes his "blue" clothes and looks good in them.

peace~elaine

Deborah Boutwell said...

He's so handsome! I love the preschool picture. I keep a picture of my kids when they where little next two their graduation pictures at work...to remind me how quickly time passes.

In the growing, the growth spurts, the pushing up through hard places, stretching out to the Son, pulling in during times of drought....it hurts, but we grow stronger, stand taller, reach higher. Thanks for that reminder.