Don't forget tactile.
A couple of weeks ago, I posted tips on Facebook and Twitter on how I try to overcome Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). Some of these tips are useful for depression in general. I thought it might be helpful to compile a list. What tips work for you?
25 Ways To Overcome Seasonal Affective Disorder
- Don't isolate yourself.
- Find others who suffer with SAD and brainstorm what works for you.
- Create routine. Get out of bed at the same time each morning. Set an alarm.
- Why is routine important? SAD can cause lack of focus. Sweetened my oatmeal instead of coffee.
- Apply what you have learned. Alarm went off half hour early. Got out of bed anyway.
- Go to church even if you don't feel like it. Even if you sneak in and out of service and sit in the back.
- Challenge your brain. Keep your mind active. Play a game like Scrabble or Sudoku.
- Be grateful for the little things. ALMOST started coffee without a mug. ALMOST.
- Rest on the truth "The Lord God is our SUN" - He hears our prayers.
- Don't forget tactile. Touch is important. I find mugs with texture for my morning coffee.
- My favorite candle scent is cinnamon stick. Arouse all your senses. Especially scent.
- Think citrus. The scent and flavor of citrus are helpful in keeping your senses heightened.
- Surround yourself with BRIGHT COLORS! Why do you think I wear NEON pink so much?
- What are you listening to? If music doesn't help try an uplifting podcast or audio book.
- Check your self-talk.
- Eat more fruit and vegetables. Eat regular meals throughout the day. Chocolate is considered a meal.
- Eat breakfast as soon as you wake-up. It kick starts your metabolism which combats melatonin production.
- Spicy food can trigger the brain to release endorphins. I am not into spicy food, but it is worth a try!
- If you suffer with SAD, a "happy" light can make a difference. Use it as early in the morning as possible.
- Turn on the lights. Turn on ALL the lights. Find the brightest bulbs. Even before you get out of bed.
- Do you have a lovingly handmade scarf? Wear it and know that you are being hugged!
- Do you have a favorite piece of jewelry? Wear it today and think of the giver.
- If the holidays are stressful, do the holidays differently.
- Find motivation to exercise. Just move. Train to walk a half marathon.
- Be proactive. Don't allow yourself to sink deeper into SAD before you do something about it. Start now!