“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Hodgepodge Questions - Vol 109

Just having fun answering a bunch of hodgepodge questions...


1. Lake Superior University has once again published a list of words/phrases they think should be banished from the Queen's English.  Here's the list for 2013- fiscal cliff, kick the can down the road, double down, job creators/creation, passion/passionate, yolo (an acronym for you only live once), spoiler alert, bucket list, trending, superfood, boneless wings, and guru.  Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why?  Go here to read more about how the words were chosen.
I would choose "fiscal cliff."  I feel like this phrase is being used to scare the American public into thinking that a quick decision needs to be made when we have known about this situation for a long time.  It's not like all of the sudden this "cliff" appeared.  We've known about it and we could have built a bridge or found a different way to continue on our fiscal path without the fear of going over a cliff.
2.  When was the last time you rode a train?  Where did you go?
About a year and a half ago, Christopher and I took the 3-hour train ride up to Seattle from Portland to visit friends.  We loved it.  It was so comfortable.  It was what I would have imagined air travel used to be like a long time ago.  You could take all your luggage for free.  You didn't feel cramped.  And, of course, visiting the dining car was a lot of fun.
3. Bagels-yay or nay?  Favorite 'flavor'?  Favorite topping?
Love, love, love bagels!  One of my favorites would be Cinnamon Raisin toasted with Honey Walnut Cream Cheese.

4.  'Tis the season of awards shows...if you could star in a movie already made which one would you choose?
I would like to be in one of Jane Austen's movies.  Like Emma or Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility.  To sit around in the summer and do needlepoint outdoors.  To have a festive party in the winter with dancing.  To read and walk... and all the beautiful buildings.  Sigh.

5. The move towards single gender classrooms has been making the news in recent months....what say you?  Do you think kids perform better if separated by gender and are taught differently or is that discrimination?  If you're a parent, is this something you'd support in regard to your own children?
 I'd have to say that I see the benefit in single gender classrooms. 

6. What's your favorite thing about staying in a hotel?
The first moment when you walk in the door and everything is perfectly in its place and undisturbed... and then you run and jump on the bed.

7. Do you have a 'word' for 2013?  What's the story behind your choice?
My One Word for the year of 2013 is "Lead."  God wants me to grow in this area.  He wants me to be intentional in it.  He wants me to learn about being a leader who disciples and mentors and nurtures and draws women towards Christ.  Not haphazardly.  But with purpose and wisdom and insight and discernment.  You can read more about it here.
And I love that Mark Batterson shared his One Word - Selah.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
This year I will finish memorizing the book of James.  I made it half way through chapter 4 last year.  My current memory verses:  "Brothers, do not slander one another.  Anyone who speaks against his brother or judges him speaks against the law and judges it.  When you are judging the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgement on it.  There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy.  But you--who are you to judge your neighbor?" James 4:11-12 NIV84
This will be my third time doing SSMT scripture memory with my "siestas." 

1 comment:

bp said...

I enjoyed reading your answers. Great passage you are memorizing. I'm doing Col. 3.