“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Hodgepodge Questions - Vol 110


1. The popular saying, 'All is fair in love and war' is originally credited to English writer John Lyly.  Is he right?
Absolutely not.  "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

2. Are you a cereal eater?  What's your favorite kind?
I eat oatmeal for breakfast.  (I add a banana, walnuts, and some berries.)

3. A five year old in Pennsylvania was recently given a ten day school suspension for talking with a friend about shooting one another with a Hello Kitty Bubble gun (the gun blows bubbles).  She did not have the gun with her at school.

A psychological evaluation was also ordered and the incident was recorded on her permanent record. The suspension was later reduced to two days and her parents are suing to have the incident removed from her file. Your thoughts?  (If you missed the story click here for details).
A Hello Kitty Bubble gun?  Hello?  Really?  I pray that her family is able to clear her file and that she is not scared by this most ridiculous suspension.

4. Whatever happened to_____________________________?
Whatever happened to The McDLT from the mid 80's?  For some reason the jingle is in my head permanently.  I don't even think I ever ate one.  But "The Hot stays Hot" and "The Cool stays Cool" is ever in my head.  Sometimes I want to use it to make a joke about something but realize that most people probably don't even remember the jingle.  Little known fact to me... Jason Alexander sings about the McDLT!

5.  January 23rd is National Handwriting Day, billed as a day to reacquaint yourself with a pen and pencil.  Do you like your handwriting? Do you prefer to print or write in cursive?  This date was chosen because its the birth date of John Hancock. What's the last thing you signed your name to?
My hand gets tired quickly when I write.  I start off pretty good but then I get sloppy.  I will go back and forth between printing and cursive.  I like to use retractable pens that are bold at least 1.4 mm.  I normally keep a black pen in my purse and a colored pen normally pink or purple.  The last thing I signed my name to was a permission slip for my son to go with his church youth group for Winter Camp.


6. Speaking of John Hancock...ever been to Philadelphia? Do you have any desire to visit the city of Brotherly Love?  
Yes, I have been to Philadelphia.  My sister attended U of Penn for a year and I visited her there.  I think it is quite a fount of history, but I have no desire to visit there at this time.  

7.  Share something funny you've heard a child say.  
 I'm currently re-reading Anonymous:  Jesus' hidden years... and yours by Alicia Britt Chole.  She relates many stories about her children, but this one about her son I LOVE!
"...without apology he adores his mommy!  Once when I was in bed looking pretty puny, he came into my room holding a glass.  Taking a drink, he then offered the glass to me and said, 'Here, Mommy, drink after me so you can catch my healthy.'"

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
A year ago today, my Grandpa died.  When I went to visit for his funeral, I stayed with my Grandma.   By staying there, I found out that my Grandfather took his coffee the same way I did.  Splenda and Hazelnut Coffee-mate Creamer.   I used to buy Splenda in the packets but to remember him, I buy it in the bag now and spoon it into my cup just like he did. 

3 comments:

Joyce said...

I don't think we ever stop missing our grandparents. It's nice you have that little memory tucked away.

I loved the kid story!

On an unrelated note-love that Jim Elliiot quote at the top of your blog too.

Tracy said...

Oh my. I had totally forgotten about that sandwich.

bp said...

Such a sweet memory of your grandpa. :)

Bethany