“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Sunday, January 6, 2013

One Word 2013: Lead




Quote From:  The Polar Express 
Hero Girl: It says "lead." Like "lead balloon." 

Conductor: I believe it also is pronounced "lead." As in "leader," "leadership." "Lead the way." Follow you anywhere, ma'am. 

My One Word for the year of 2013 is "Lead."  Well, I wouldn't really call it "my" word.  It is definitely God's word for me.  I wouldn't have chosen it.  And I guess that's the point, isn't it?  God wants me to grow in this area.  He wants me to be intentional in it.  He wants me to learn about being a leader who disciples and mentors and nurtures and draws women towards Christ.  Not haphazardly.  But with purpose and wisdom and insight and discernment.  One full of compassion and kindness.  One who trains others to be leaders as an example.  Or as our pastor said today in his sermon to become a "sanctified pusher."  Yikes, that doesn't sound right out of context... so you must visit here to get a better idea of what he meant!

Honestly, I am uncomfortable with the word.  I feel like it is presumptuous.  But I think God has a lot for me to learn and He wants me to get my "Reticular Activating System" focused!  
"The Reticular Activating System (RAS) is a cluster of nerve cells in the brainstem that regulate alertness and attention. We are bombarded by thousands of stimuli every second–different sights, sounds and sensations. It is the job of the RAS to regulate which stimuli you pay attention to and which stimuli you ignore. It is the gatekeeper or screening device. Or think of it as mental radar. The RAS determines what you notice and what goes unnoticed." ~ Mark Batterson
(And my RAS has already been in overdrive!  There are already a couple of conferences that have popped up with the word "Lead" in the title.)

Thank you to Melanie at Only A Breath who made my "One Word" button and is encouraging others to link up once a month on the 15th to check-in and see how we are doing.  Want to see others who joined?  Just stop by here.
 
Do you have a One Word for 2013? 

1 comment:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Reconciliation . . . and tonight I'm thinking about what that has meant for me in these last couple of days. How I pray to be intentional about this one thing this year.

Blessings to you as you lead others to know God more in 2013!

peace~elaine