“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Am I Saving My Words?



Am I saving my words?

It is often that I speak without thinking.
But I'm wondering...
how often do I think without speaking?

How often have I had the words of life to speak to someone... and yet withheld them?  I'm not just talking about sharing God's eternal plan for salvation which is wholly important and life-giving... I'm talking about encouragement and edification.

Let no unwholesome word
proceed from your mouth,

but only such a word
as is good for edification
according to the need
of the moment,

so that it will give grace
to those who hear.

Ephesians 4:29 NASB

Don't miss this part of the verse... "so that it will give grace to those who hear."  When I am presented with an opportunity to edify or encourage someone at the right timing and I withhold those words... will someone else come along and do the work I was called to do?

Therefore encourage one another
and build each other up,
just as in fact you are doing.
1 Thessalonians 5:11 NIV


But encourage one another daily,
as long as it is called Today,
so that none of you may be hardened
by sin's deceitfulness.
Hebrews 3:13 NIV


And let us consider how we may
spur one another on
toward love and good deeds.

Let us not give up meeting together,
as some are in the habit of doing,
but let us encourage one another
and all the more as
you see the Day approaching.
Hebrews 10:24-25 NIV


And so today, I am compelled to encourage you (and me) to start speaking... encouraging... edifying... and you might be saying, but I'm too shy or I'm too young or I wouldn't know what to say or it's not my place, but I'm wondering... whose place is it?

Could your words be the balm that a hurting soul needs today? Could your words be the inspiration that someone needs to draw closer to the Lord? Could your words be the strength that someone needs to hear?

I've had to ask myself this question, "Am I thinking without speaking?"  And I have to admit that I've been doing a lot of thinking lately... but not a lot of speaking.  And the longer I go without speaking... the harder it is to speak when I know it is needed.

And I thought if I was going to ask myself... I think I'll ask you, too.  Are you thinking without speaking?

2 comments:

Susan Milbrandt said...

Very timely word for me, Sheri!

elaine@peace for the journey said...

Withheld words . . .

That speaks a witness all its own, especially when done intentionally. Is there any more life-giving practice than the speaking of our words? When we withhold our voices (for whatever reason), we risk the potential of withholding grace.

I thank you for this prompt, Sheri, and will take it to the Lord in prayer. Certainly, I've missed a few opportunities today to give life.

peace~elaine