“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Friday, March 29, 2013

My Favorite Good Friday




April 2nd, 1999
My Favorite Good Friday


I was three weeks away from giving birth.  After months of pre-postpartum counseling, I was still afraid of the change that was about to occur.  I was about to become a mother.  I was terrified.  FEARFUL.

On that day I attended Good Friday Service at our church. It was a small gathering in the old chapel (which is the current Hospitality Center at our church).  I remember sitting in the back.  And then Communion was served.

As I take communion, I realize that the baby is taking communion, too.  We are taking communion together.   And I think... we will never have this experience... this intimacy, again.

After months of feeling distant from the baby... I suddenly feel as if we have bonded.   We have shared something.   Something intimate and private.

And I thank God for that moment.  That realization.   Something now that is embedded in my heart and soul.

And although... no one else remembers that day or that Good Friday Service or that particular communion, I will... the rest of my life.   It became a remembrance of God's love for me and my baby as we took communion in remembrance of Him.


...and when he had given thanks,
he broke it and said,
"This is my body,
which is for you;
do this in remembrance of me."
In the same way,
after supper he took the cup,
saying, "This cup is
the new covenant in my blood;
do this, whenever you drink it,
in remembrance of me."
1 Corinthians 11:24-25 NIV

No comments: