“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Monday, April 22, 2013

A Photo




It was over 24 hours before it happened.

Christopher and I had decided to be part of the B.A.A. 5K on Sunday morning, April 14th, 2013.  I mean... we would get a medal and a t-shirt and actually cross the same finish line of the Boston Marathon.  Why not?  It is good exercise.  Anthony came to cheer us.  Even brought a cowbell.

It was a gorgeous morning.  Walking the streets of Boston.  Trees in spring bloom.  Looking at the beautiful Brownstones.  Passing by the iconic Bull & Finch Pub which was the model for the TV show "Cheers."  Having the opportunity to take it all in while the streets were closed and most people were just waking up for their morning cup of coffee. 

Walking.  Enjoying the beauty.  Enjoying the quiet.  The peacefulness of it all.  I was walking and most everyone was finished the 5K.   It seemed like I had the city of Boston to myself. 

As I approached the finish line, I started to take photos with my iPhone.  I am not even sure why.  I guess I thought that normally those crossing this finish line are running so fast they don't get to stop and take a photo.  To take in the grandeur of it all.  To experience the moment. 

Because the next day this area would be so crowded. 
So very crowded. 
So very difficult to get to.
I probably wouldn't get to see it.
Wouldn't get to see Anthony actually cross the finish line.
There would be so many people.

And so as I crossed the finish line, I stopped.  I turned around and took a photo.  Anthony was waiting for me, so I took it quickly and then went to meet him.

Not realizing that this photo would look so familiar.  Because for the next week I would see this vantage point on the television over and over, again.  Over and over, again.  Over and over, again.

Hot tears still fill my eyes.  I am hoping words will bring my mind some clarity.

Because the next day everything looked different. 


2 comments:

Patrina's Pencil said...

you will never forget it! You took that picture for a reason....I am so glad you both survived!

My daughter and BIL had a man from their church in Seattle, also running. He was 7 blks ahead of the crisis. He missed last year because of a car accident. And while training for this year's race... he suffered a heart attack and supposedly died..but they revived him in the ambulance.

My granddaughter says, that the heart attack could have saved his life....surgery caused him to run faster and finish the race sooner... just saying.

Why others weren't so blessed ...is only a question for God.

Bet your prayers are far-reaching this week and last... you were at that finish line for more reasons then you know...

carry on, dear one
patrina <")>><

reapwhatshesews said...

Well said Sheri.. I have appreciated hearing your heart in this matter.