“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Thursday, April 11, 2013

"If You've Lost Faith, Borrow Mine"


Some men brought to him
a paralytic, lying on a mat.


When Jesus saw their faith,
he said to the paralytic,
"Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven."
Matthew 9:2 NIV


She told me that they had stopped praying for her daughter-in-law numerous times. Just given up. Too tired. Too much time. No change.

But she came up to the altar for prayer last week. One more time. One more desperate prayer. And we prayed together for her daughter-in-law. "For where two or three have gathered..."

Today she hurried to greet me. She was excited. Ecstatic. Grateful to God. Her daughter-in-law finally FINALLY agreed to get the help she needed for her alcoholism.

And I stopped in my tracks. And held her tight. And was amazed.

I was listening to a book by John Maxwell last week. He spoke of a young preacher named Kevin who went off to start a church... but had become disillusioned with the results... and Kevin wearily returned to his mentor to tell him that he had failed. And his mentor said to him, "Kevin, if you've lost faith, borrow mine."

Are you disillusioned? Weary? Have you been praying and wondering if the Lord will come through? Does it have to do with addiction? Rejection? Fear? Health? Finances? What is it? What are those dusty prayers? The ones that break your heart?

Because today, I've come to tell you... If you've lost faith, borrow mine.

When Jesus healed the paralytic in Matthew 9, He did it when He saw "their faith." Not the faith of the paralytic. But those who carried him. Who carried him on his mat.

And today... I'm offering... to carry your mat.

This is not a one-time offer. And I am the type who will want to pray with you, but understand that sometimes you don't even know how to pray for yourself. I've been there. And I've leaned on the faith of others. I've borrowed their faith... until I could find my own, again.

Because earlier today I had the privilege of praying with another woman. With her own heartbreak. And I was wondering... Lord, how will You answer this prayer?

If we are faithless,
He remains faithful,
for He cannot deny Himself.
2 Timothy 2:13 NASB

Even when my faith is lacking... it doesn't make God less faithful. He will always be faithful.

And for those times when you feel like you have no hope... no faith...

Just remember my offer... "If you've lost faith, borrow mine."

3 comments:

Kathi Woodall said...

Love it, Sheri. I'd never thought about this before. I will never get over the beauty of Scripture in the little words, words like "their." Their faith. I'm going to share this with my SS class as we are currently studying the importance of prayer.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

You are an amazing gift to those who know you, Sheri. I'm so grateful for the faith of friends that carry me through my lean seasons. Thank you for your authentic approach to life and to the Gospel. You're a blessing.

peace~elaine

Christina said...

Sheri,
You have explained this beautifully. I have shared it with my Bible Study group as we have a hard thing in the life of one of our Sisters that we have been praying over for years. Thank you for sharing your heart. You are an encouragement!
~Christina Luther
(I met you at the first SSMT event)
:)