“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Because I Was In The Garden

"Consider carefully what you hear,"
he continued.
"
With the measure you use,
it will be measured to you—
and even more.
Whoever has will be given more;
whoever does not have,
even what he has
will be taken from him.
"
Mark 4:24-25 NIV


 

Because I was in the garden...

I plant a lot of flowers.  Because I love a lot of color and blossoms.  The more I plant... the more I am able to enjoy.

There were years that I rarely entered my garden.  Years before I truly understood how satisfying it could be to watch my garden transform into a sanctuary.   I planted nothing... I reaped nothing... and decided to spend very little time there... because it brought me no pleasure.

And there it is... with the measure I used... it was measured back to me.  Plant flowers... reap flowers.   Don't plant flowers... don't reap flowers.

But the amazing thing was that when I started gardening, I did discover other plants in my backyard... that were trying to grow, but they were hidden by weeds and vines.   Specifically, two roses.  Hidden... unbeknownst to me.   Having survived years of neglect... and admiration.  But because I was out there... "measuring"... planting... I received even more.

And so, I have found this to be true in my relationship with the Lord.  The more time I spend with Him... in His Word... in prayer... through Bible Studies... sermons... worship... the more I receive in return.  Knowledge, wisdom, discernment, peace, joy, contentment...

What is the measure you are using?   A pinch?  A dash?  A teaspoon?  Tablespoon?  Or how about a cup?  Whatever measure you use, it will be measured to you--and even more.

When you come to visit my garden, you will enjoy the beauty of all the glory of the flowers... but I will most certainly draw you to the two roses that were revealed to me because I was in the garden at all.

1 comment:

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Well, let's see. About a teaspoon of intentional, faith investment these days. I desperately need to carve out quiet time for the Lord. My exhaustion has taken over, and I must take care of my soul even as I'm taking care of my family and house.

I've never been a yard girl, but I notice that our large back yard has some beautiful yellow flowers. If this rain ever stops, I'll venture out for a spell and see what God has to say to me.

Thank you for this prompt. You are such a lovely soul.

peace~elaine