“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Friday, June 21, 2013

What Does This Look Like?

"Pray as though everything depended on God.
Work as though everything depended on you."
~Saint Augustine

 
Often I am asked what this looks like.

What does it look like to pray for God to intervene and yet keep working like it depends on me? One of the ways that you can keep working like it depends on you is to study God's Word, The Bible.

That may look different for all of us. But for me, today, that means completing the Member Book "homework" for the Beth Moore study "When Godly People Do Ungodly Things." As I am doing the "work" I am reflecting on God's Word and applying it to my life and circumstances. I am pondering what it means for God to delight in my obedience (1 Samuel 15:22) and what exactly the difference is between willful sin (Psalm 19:12-13) and any other type of sin (pg. 62).

If you have been wondering how to move beyond the pit that you are stuck in, I encourage you to open your Bible today and pray for God to help you understand it and have a love for reading it. A great place to start is the book of John and the book of Psalms. Or join a Bible study so that you can discuss it and learn from others along the way.

In the meantime, I'll be praying for you. Knowing that God is dependable and is proven to be faithful. Much love to you today!
 
But Samuel replied:
“Does the Lord delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices
as much as in obeying the Lord?
To obey is better than sacrifice,
    and to heed is better than the fat of rams."
1 Samuel 15:22
 
But who can discern their own errors?
    Forgive my hidden faults.
Keep your servant also from willful sins;

    may they not rule over me.
Then I will be blameless,
    innocent of great transgression. 
Psalm 19:12-13 NIV
 
 

No comments: