“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road;
make me a fork
, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.” - Jim Elliot

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

A High Tower For The Oppressed

Grand Canyon Desert View Watchtower


The Lord also will be a refuge and 
a high tower for the oppressed, 
a refuge and a stronghold in times of 
trouble(high cost, destitution, and desperation).
Psalm 9:9 Amplified Version

I was visiting with a friend yesterday.  And she was heart-sick.  Broken.  And wondering... Where was God in all of this?  Financial strain.  Broken relationships.  A daughter who was in an abusive relationship... and pregnant.  Illness.  Parents aging.  Family stress.

And she was wondering... Where was God in all of this?  And I felt like she was asking me for an answer.  What do you think, Sheri?  Where is God in all of this?  You know I believe Him and trust in Him and I know you do, too.  So, give me your perspective.  Where is God in all of this?

And I was desperately begging God to show me where He was in all of this.  Where are you God?  Because I have to give her an answer and she is hurting right now.  And I don't want to tell her that I don't know where you are.  Because it is hard for me to see that in all that she is dealing with right now.  And her problems are so big that I cannot do anything to help her.  I want to give her comfort, Lord.  I need some words that would lift her spirit.

And... nothing.  No catchy words.  Nothing spiritual.  And I waited.  For a nudge.  For something.  God, quick... I need to tell her something so she will feel better right now.  And so that I will feel better right now.  And I will feel like I helped her.  And she will feel like I helped her.  And she will be glad that she saw me today. 

Moments seemed like hours as I was catching my breath to try and speak some life-changing words.  So, I grabbed her hand and pulled it tight into mine... and prayed over her.  And as I was praying the thought came to me, What did that Philip Yancey book say about what to say to those who are hurting?  What wise words?  What were those words?  What magnificent meaningful words could I pray over her?

And I remembered.  Hope.  God is our hope.  He offers us hope.  Sometimes there are no words.  Just hope.  And as I prayed them... prayed words of hope over her... they seemed at first hollow.  Was I wishing for her?  Was there really something hopeful in her situation? Would God really work all these things out?  Would He show Himself to her?  I feared that I might be just trying to give her hope.  Give her hope. Give her hope.  


And that's when I realized that I truly did believe that God would follow through.  He always has.  He always will.  And that in the end... it's not about me... and what I say... or how I pray.  But it is truth.  That He gives us hope.  That He is a tower.  A refuge.  A stronghold. And sometimes when we are in a moment of desperation we need our friends to come around us and point out the Strong Tower.  Who is there.  Has always been there.  Will always be there.


Praying that if you need hope... you'll let someone encourage you and pray for you, today.


Originally posted 10/31/11

No comments: